Emergency information for evacuees and pets

To speed recovery/reconstruction, Alberta Premier Rachel Motley has said that critical infrastructure has attempted to be protected including water bombing neighbourhoods, government buildings and saving hospitals and airport.

Up to date information for evacuees and their pets can be found at the Alberta Government’s emergency website.

Evacuees should register at an evacuation location or through Red Cross at 1-888-350-6070. Family members and evacuees trying to reunite can also contact the Red Cross.


Evacuation and reception centres (as of May 8):


Lac La Biche Bold Centre

8702 – 91 Avenue, Lac La Biche


Edmonton Northlands, Halls A

7515 118 Ave NW, Edmonton


St. Paul Centennial Recreation Centre

4802 – 53 Street, St. Paul


Athabasca Agriplex

Highway 813 and RR224, Athabasca


Smoky Lake Complex

4612 – 54 Avenue, Smoky Lake


Grassland Community Hall

Main Street, Grassland


Drayton Valley Omniplex

5737 – 45 Avenue, Drayton Valley


Beaver Lake Cree Nation Lodge

Cardinal Drive, Beaver Lake Cree Nation


Fort Chipewyan *For First Nation Band members only

Athabasca Delta Community School (ADCS)

172 McDonald Street, Fort Chipewyan


Calgary – Ambrose College

150 Ambrose Circle SW, Calgary


Calgary – University of Calgary

Reception – Dining Centre, 124 University Gate N.W.

University of Calgary campus


Financial assistance and insurance


Evacuees should keep all receipts for food purchases, accommodations and other expenses for possible reimbursement.


If you’ve suffered a property loss, contact your insurance provider. You may be entitled to additional living expenses under your insurance policy.


If you cannot recall your insurance provider, contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s consumer information line for assistance at 1-844-227-5422 or by email at FortMacFire@ibc.ca.


Official are also ensuring food, water, toiletries and other essentials are available to motorists.


Social support services


Emergency benefits may be available for eligible Albertans in need.


Affected clients receiving Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) benefits by cheque rather than electronic deposit should call the Athabasca AISH office at 780–675-6853 during regular office hours.


Affected Alberta Works clients who receive benefits by cheque rather than electronic deposit should call the 24-hour Income Support Contact Centre at 1-866-644-5135 (then press 1) or within Edmonton call 780-644-5135. Clients can also send an email to iscc@gov.ab.ca to find out how to receive benefits.


Families or contracted service providers needing human, financial, or in-kind assistance to connect with loved ones, find accommodations or provide assistance to individuals receiving PDD supports, can contact the Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) Program Branch at 780-427-1177 ext #3 or Disability Services at 780-415-2466.


For information on child intervention, child care and Family Support for Children with Disabilities, Fort McMurray and area residents may contact 1-800-638-0715.


Pet reunification


Starting May 7, emergency responders will identify and care for pets that were left behind during the evacuation. Pets will be handled by trained animal handlers and will receive veterinary care. If your pet needs rescue, please fill out the online emergency pet rescue request to allow a field team to respond.


Pet owners will be contacted by Alberta SPCA in the coming days.


Evacuees with pets are welcome at the City of Edmonton Reception Centre at Northlands. Short term care is available for animals on site, while longer term care will be arranged by Animal Care And Control, working with partners including the Edmonton Humane Society and the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association at Northlands to ensure animals are looked after.


Donations of animal food and other assistance are not required by the Reception Centre.


Other reception centres may also allow pets.




The Alberta SPCA is coordinating support for livestock, which is expected to involve mostly horses. The organization will also assist if evacuees bring horses or other livestock with them to Northlands.


Veterinary practices across Alberta are also offering help.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here